Corporate Systems Engineer
LMAX is looking for a corporate systems engineer to join our highly skilled systems engineering team. This is not your ordinary systems team. We use a combination of Kanban, Agile and Devops methodologies blended together to manage the diverse needs of the organisation. This leads to varied work and strong knowledge transfer among members of the team. We're looking for a highly motivated person to take ownership of our corporate services. This is a new position, you'll be the first of your kind, and as such will take a leading role in the direction of LMAX's corporate systems.
What will you be doing
- Shape the direction of LMAX's corporate infrastructure; your ideas, our future.
- Working with the business to design suitable solutions to interesting and unusual requirements.
- Mentor and train our first line desktop support staff.
- Supporting internal office infrastructure with a variety of OSes and software.
- Be the escalation point for first line support issues.
- Evaluating new hardware and software.
- Puppet development and testing in a continuous deployment process.
- Monitoring systems to proactively prevent issues arising.
- Scripting and automating processes to ensure consistency and repeatability.
- Maintenance and packaging of software for deployment.
- Pair working to spread knowledge throughout the team.
- Participate in on-call rotation.
- Ability to understand business requirements and implement systems to these requirements.
- Design well documented, simple and elegant systems which are easily supportable.
- Background in a second / third line support role is desirable.
- Interest in Linux and opensource technologies.
- A "self starter", with a good sense of ownership and drive.
- Practical approach to managing time and work load to ensure that tasks required are completed in a timely fashion.
- Experience with Windows desktop operating systems.
- Experience with Microsoft Windows Server.
- Experience with virtualization: HyperV, KVM and Libvirt.
- Experience with Linux is desirable.
- Knowledge of open source monitoring systems (e.g. Nagios).
- Experience with hardware. Familiarity with server hardware is a bonus.
- Understanding of TCP/IP networking.
- Scripting in either Bash, Python, Ruby or VBScript / PowerShell.
- Experience with desktop build and imaging infrastructure (PXE, MDT, etc)
- Experience with databases on Linux (MySQL, Postgres) and / or Windows (SQL Server).
- Configuration management systems, for example; Puppet or Chef.
- Infrastructure as a code using TDD and CD.
- Working knowledge of kanban or agile methodologies.
- Science Degree and Professional certifications such as RHCE, MCSE and CCNA.