LMAX Group is a FinTech company that designs, develops, builds and runs leading edge financial exchanges in major financial centres around the world, specialising in fiat and crypto-currencies.
We are growing, and we want an energetic and passionate engineer to bring new skills and perspectives to our Technology Operations function. We are made up of Systems, Networks and Security Specialists whose job is to build and maintain LMAX's infrastructure, enforce regulatory compliance, and provide a stable platform for our state-of-the-art trading engine.
We are an all-encompassing team: from tuning operating systems to cloud automation, from packets on a wire to global connectivity, from Python scripting to large analytical simulations. We’re given high level milestones and the freedom to discuss, design, and deliver platforms upon which our entire business operates.
In this specific role we’re looking for a generalist systems or DevOps engineer looking to take the next step in their careers. We are big fans of rotation and pairing, especially cross-discipline: you may be working next to a Cloud specialist for one task, and a network engineer the next. We do this because we find it stimulating, and it creates a collaborative culture where people can discover that niche of technology that they love.
We’re in that sweet spot between a startup and an established enterprise. We’re all techies, and we’re all hands-on. You will have a direct impact on both the day-to-day running and long term direction of a successful business, without excessive red tape and bureaucracy.
With our “everyone can work on anything” culture you’ll have the opportunity to expand your skill set across many fields; system and platform automation, on-premise and cloud infrastructure, performance tuning, networking, CI/CD pipelines and testing.
We’re big fans of automation and testing. We’ll encourage you to think like a software engineer by applying a Test Driven Development approach to the things you build. We think you’ll find it ends up being faster, giving more time for the interesting problems.
We have 50/50 flexible working from home and in our offices. We encourage you to take half a day every week for your own learning and development, and we provide a large range of training resources and opportunities.
This should describe you
- You are a generalist with a DevOps / automation-first mindset
- You don’t shy away from responsibility: if the task requires rolling up your sleeves and getting your hands dirty, you’re in
- You love to learn, and have an inquisitive nature
You will have these important skills
- Familiar with the Linux command line – diagnosing, building, configuring, monitoring, automating
- Worked with some or all of those Infrastructure-as-Code practices and tooling, and in a DevOps culture (eg: Puppet, Ansible, Terraform)
- Good communication and self-organisation skills
- Configuration management (we use Puppet)
- On-premise and Cloud infrastructure automation (we use Ansible and Terraform)
- Scripting / programming experience (Bash, Python, Ruby)
- Managing on-premise hardware and Cloud infrastructure (we like AWS)
- Data-driven monitoring and observability (Grafana, InfluxDB, Prometheus, Elastic)
- Automated testing using CI/CD pipelines (Git Lab, Jenkins)
- Infrastructure design, architecture, and planning
You are interested in or may have some of these
What the team does
- Pair working with Systems, Networks, and Security Specialists
- Support, monitoring and reliability of our ultra low latency trading platforms
- Provisioning physical, virtual and cloud infrastructure for a wide variety of requirements
- Puppet development and testing in a continuous deployment process
- Low level TCP debugging for diagnosing errors and latency issues
- Low level performance engineering & kernel tuning
- Scripting and automating processes to ensure consistency and repeatability
- Monitoring systems to proactively prevent issues arising
- Hardware upgrades and data centre installations
- Business As Usual support and resolution of incidents