About the Role:
LMAX Group is looking for a Network Engineer to join our highly skilled team of enthusiasts, and who want to broaden their skills both within networks and across system administration, security and scripting/infrastructure as a service. This position requires a candidate who feels comfortable designing a solution as well as developing and maintaining the current estate. You will work very closely with the sysadmin, developer and the security teams and Linux will be one of your daily tools. You will be sure your team is busy, motivated and ahead of the game.
This role provides the opportunity to push networking to the edge of its capabilities and face the challenges of delivering reliably over the Internet as well as those of a low latency, high performance network. You will be involved in all aspects of the LMAX estate, reaching from automation, design, installation, support, budgets, troubleshooting, tuning and dealing with vendors and customers.
The successful candidate will be passionate about their work and must be able to work on their own initiative in a fast moving environment with ever-changing business requirements. LMAX Group offer some flexibility around remote working.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Support of network and firewall related incidents from production and corporate units
- Design and implement network solutions to high standards, maintaining 24/7 availability.
- Deliver projects based on a combination of Kanban, Agile and Devops methodologies
- Improve automation through scripts and tooling to improve quality and efficiency
- Firewall design and configuration of Palo Alto, Cisco and Fortigate devices
- Good documentation skills to ensure knowledge sharing.
- Pair working to spread and acquire knowledge: Learn and Teach.
- Learn, Teach and be Inventive
- Work within a follow-the-sun operational model.
- Good Time-management
- Customer focus
- Keep documentation up to date
Essential Skills / Experience:
- Genuine enthusiasm for Networks and Open Source.
- Positive, constructive and open-minded attitude. Self-motivated to deliver projects and business tasks.
- Systematic problem-solving approach coupled with a strong sense of ownership and drive.
- Practical approach to managing time and workload to ensure that tasks required are completed in a timely fashion.
- Ability to understand business requirements and implement systems to these requirements.
- Good documentation and communication skills to communicate with a global team.
- Strong and clear understanding for Routing and Switching: OSPF, BGP, IS-IS, MPLS VPNs, Multicast, Spanning-Tree.
- Scripting Bash and/or Python.
- Excellent understanding of TCP/IP
- Firewall design / configuration / deployment. Primarily Palo Alto, Fortigate.
- Data Centre experience and hands-on with hardware: installation, patching, fibre, cat5
- Good Linux experience.
- Contact with automation tools like Puppet or Ansible
- Contact with WAN optimization products like Riverbed or Silverpeak
- Knowledge of monitoring systems (e.g. Nagios, Observium)
- Good troubleshooting skills and usage of tcpdump/wireshark.
- Experience with Agile, and/or DevOps methodologies